Sunday, October 2, 2011

A day in silence

Spending an entire day in silence is not as easy as it seems yet is the easiest way to stay in the present and be mindful. I know for many people being in silence is not something out of the ordinary, but this is not just about being quiet or not talking to people, it's about being completely aware.
My day was spent like any normal day, even though I wished I was in a remote area where I could hear only the birds and and the wind sing. I decided to carry a little piece of paper with the words "I'm taking a day for silence" for the people that I would inevitably encounter along the way. The funny thing was, every time I showed someone that piece of paper, they began whispering or they would stop talking too as if to wanting to match my silence. I hope I inspired them to take sometime in silence too.
So many times I caught myself about to speak without really thinking. Like when we greet someone and ask automatically, "How are you?" I realized that I'm not taking the time to wait for the answer, not because I don't care but because I imagine there will be a time in the future when I'll be able to sit down and really get to know the person. If only...
I also realized that my smile and non-verbal words can communicate more than simple words. When I did not carry that piece of paper with me, I resorted to nodding and smiling. It seemed to do the trick.
Many times I felt like I cheated when I used other forms of communication such as texting or signs to speak what I was thinking. What was the purpose of this day of silence then?
I wanted to become more aware of my thoughts (hence the blog) and I wanted to find that inner peace in the midst of chaos. Perhaps I needed to go to a remote area away from interruptions and noise so I'm not distracted. Or perhaps I just needed to go within.
It is so useful to communicate through words yet it is so easy to say things we don't mean, say things without thinking. I learned a few things along the way.
I learned that I can be more patient and less attached when I cannot say what I think as easily.
I learned how easy it is to forget to be mindful and how easy it is to react to things.
I learned that it takes a lot of focus and energy to be constantly aware of thoughts and actions.
I learned how much words can connect us or disconnect us from people.
Next time I'll try it for a longer period of time. It was interesting to watch people's reactions and it was fascinating how much more I was able to learn from the silence.
In silence and presence,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this article? I welcome your comments here.